Untitled Document
  
Broadwater Down
 

Broadwater Down, St Mark


Photo: Dickon Love, Jan 2005

  • 1 bell hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 6-3-2 in G♯.
  • Grid Ref: TQ576375
  • Rung from: Ground Floor
  • Frame: 1866 John Taylor & Co. made for 5 bells, but adapted in 1897 into one for 4 bells.
  • Diocese: Rochester
  • Building Listed Grade: II*. Click for Heritage details.

  • Sound clip of the single bell.(Dickon R Love, 29 Jan 2005)

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
Single bell 6-3-239½" G♯ 1897 John Taylor & Co., Loughborough Never

Inscriptions

How the bells are tuned

Prior to 1897

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Weight
(Supplied weight in 1866)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Single bell6-2-246-3-233½"1866George Mears & Co.NeverRecast 1897

History

1864 20th Oct. First stone of the church was laid. Funding was provided by the Earl of Abergavenny and built to the design of R L Roumieu.
1866 21st Aug. Church opened. A bell was supplied by Mears as a "New Tenor of 5" of 6-3-2 and 34", hung in a new timber frame for 5 bells.
1897 The bell was recast into a heavier bell by John Taylor. In enlarging the pit to accommodate this bell, the number of empty pits was reduced to 3.


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016