Header
  
Canterbury
 

Canterbury, St Mary Bredin


Photo: Richard C. Offen

  • Single bell hung dead with a trigger clapper
  • Tenor: 4-3-5 in E.
  • Grid Ref: TR152573
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Canterbury


Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
Single bell 4-3-528" E 1957 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Never

 - Hung dead

Inscriptions

History

1942 On 1st June, the old church was gutted by bombing. The treble and two were squashed into a flat shape with only their canons projecting. The tenor was almost undamaged although quite porous in the soundbow and of poor tone. The old church was demolished in October. The bells were salvaged.
1957 A new church was built on a new site on the Old Dover Road. The 2 smaller bells were recast into a new bell to hang in this tower. The old tenor was kept on display under the tower.
c 1990 The old tenor was transferred as an exhibit to the Canterbury Heritage Centre in Stour Street.

Elsewhere in the Parish

Canterbury, Nunnery Fields Hospital Chapel
Formerly large entrance turret bell and swing chime chapel bell


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016