Header
  
Canterbury
 

Canterbury, St Edmund's School


Photo: St Edmund's School

  • 2 bells hung dead (chapel and clock bells)
  • Tenor: 2-0-13
  • Grid Ref: TR133592
  • Chapel bell: hung dead with a lever clapper in the spire over the chapel. Clock bell: hung dead in a cupola over the Baker House extension, also with a level-clapper which is never used.
  • Rung from: Ground Floor

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date FounderSerial NoRetuned
Clock Bell 1-0-017½" 1895 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon1528Never
Chapel Bell 20-0-13c.24" 1856 Charles & George Mears, WhitechapelNever

 - Hung dead

Inscriptions

History

1853 The Clergy Orphan school moved from Bushey to Canterbury over these 3 years.
1856 A magnificent chapel was built, P C Hardwick, architect to whom Mears invoiced the bell. It was hung dead with a lever-clapper in the spire over the chapel. It is chimed from the floor and is used to announce chapel services and breaks in the day’s routine.
1895 A major extension was built to incorporate the junior school. R Blomfield was the architect. The clock is a memorial to Headmaster Matheson.
1896 A bell was supplied by Gillett & Johnston to "Canterbury Clergy Orphan School". The inscription suggests it was cast the previous year.
2019 Major repairs to the spire took place.

Pictures of the clock bell


The clock bell.
Photo:

The clock bell can be seen in the cupola above the clock.
Photo: Canterbury Historical & Archaeological Society


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 4 October 2020