Header
  
Whitstable
 

Whitstable, The Castle


  • Single Burmese bell hung dead
  • Tenor: 6 cwt approx.
  • Grid Ref: TR113671
  • Formerly Tankerton Towers
  • Building Listed Grade: II Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
Burmese bell 6 cwt approx.33" 19th Cent Burmese founder (unknown)Never

History

1790 Tankerton Tower was built.
1820 The first enlargement of the building took place by Charles Pearson.
1832 Wynn Ellis became Lord of the Manor.
1840 The long west front was added.
1844 A clock tower was built with a clock designed to strike the hours.
1875 Wynn Ellis died.
1935 Tankerton Towers was renamed Whitstable Castle and passed to Whitstable UDC and (in 1972) to Canterbury City Council.
2014 The clock was restored and rebuilt.
2015 The bell was rehung. The original method of fixing the bell was used.
[1] Wynn Ellis M. P. To: One old Burmeses (sic) bell with no clapper £40. Painting and gilding the bell, supplying clapper and wharfage 4 8s 0d. £44 8s 0d (Whitechapel Day Book, 19 Sept 1845)

Gallery


The bell photographed from the inside.
Photo: bobleroi.co.uk, 2007

The clock and bell from the outside.
Photo:


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 10 October 2020