Untitled Document
  
Deal
 

Deal, St Thomas of Canterbury (RC)


Photo:

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
Disused bell c.14" John Warner & Sons Never
Single Bell 31" C♯ 1932 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Never

Inscriptions

History

1885 The foundation stone was laid in January. After consecrating the High Altar on 29th December, the church was formally opened by Rt Revd John Butt, Bishop of Southwark. The church had a central gable containing one small bell, hung for swing chiming.
1929 The Mission was canonically raised to the status of a parish.
1932 Tower built. A new bell hung for ringing full-circle installed. Early Mears Simpson tuning. The bell was taken from stock and the waist inscription incised. At some later point the small bell was taken down and now resides in the first floor of the towe

Full list of peals here
Full list of quarters here

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016