Faversham, St Saviour (now "The Hot Tin")

Photo: Lisa Valder, 2016

  • Formerly single bell 0-2-18 hung for swing chiming with lever in open spirelet
  • Formerly single bell 0-2-18, removed in 1970 with the metal going into Ashford treble.
  • Grid Ref: TR020612
  • Deconsecrated 1951 and currently an arts centre
  • Building Listed Grade: II Click for Heritage details.

Prior to 1970

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Single Bell0-2-1814¾"1884John Warner & SonsNeverMetal used for new treble for Ashford, 1970


1884 A small bell was cast by John Warner & Co.
1886 A new church dedicated to St Saviour (named after the patron saint of the nearby ruined Faversham Abbey) was built as a daughter church to the parish church of St Mary of Charity. It was built of corrigated iron sheets over a softwood frame and was known as the "tin church". The Warner bell was hung under the small spirelet.
1951 The church was deconsecrated and was subsequently used as a gymnasium for the nearby Church of England primary school. In later years it was a joinery shop (Premier Faversham Joinery) before being bought and converted into a venue with accommodation.
1970 The bell was taken down and the metal used towards the treble at St Mary, Ashford.


An old postcard of the church.
Photo: David Cawley collection

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 10 October 2020