Header
  
Whitstable
 

Whitstable, St Peter


  • Single bell hung for swing chiming with lever and small bell
  • Tenor: 3-1-5 in G.
  • Grid Ref: TR108667
  • Rung from: Ground Floor
  • Diocese: Canterbury

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
Single bell 3-1-524" G 1964 Mears & Stainbank, WhitechapelNever
Sanctus ½ cwt approx.12" UnknownNever

Inscriptions

Prior to 1964

Bell DiameterDateFounderFate
Service bell12"UnknownBlank. Recast 1964

Prior to 2007

Bell DiameterDateFounderFate
Single bell14"1937Mears & StainbankStolen in 2007

History

1903 Church planned, chancel built, G. H. Fellowes-Prynne, architect, ‘tin’ nave. Small bell provided.
1929 Remainder of church (except tower) built. Small bell rehung in a tiled bracket by the site of the tower.
1937 Sanctus bell provided and hung ‘dead’ on beam between chancel and Lady Chapel.
1964 New open belfry of brick erected at the south-west corner, with new bell hung therein. Old bell sold for £5 to help finance this.
2007 The small sanctus bell was discovered to have been stolen.
c 2009 The Sanctus bell was replaced with an uninscribed ship's bell.

Gallery


The former bell, pictured in c. 1957, before it was sold.
Photo: David Cawley

The sanctus bell prior to being stolen in 2007.
Photo: David Cawley


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 10 May 2020