Untitled Document
  
Herne Bay
 

Herne Bay, St John the Evangelist


Photo: David Cawley collection

Prior to 1973

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Single bell7-1-2534⅞"1723Richard PhelpsNeverScrapped after falling to pieces

History

1723 Bell cast by Richard Phelps for All Hallows, Lombard Street, London.
1879 Bell transferred to St Paul's, Southwark, as a ring of ten bells was acquired for All Hallows from St Dionis, Backhurch, London.
1900 Bell then transferred to St John's, Herne Bay. It was purchased through the Revd C de Carteret by the Misses Watkins for £20. "An old bell of very sweet tone and worth very much more. The church wardens (of St Paul's, Lorimore Square, Southwark) allowed us to have it at that price for friendship's sake - Messrs Mears & Stainbank's valuation new £52, present £35."
1972 10th Feb Church declared redundant.
1973 Feb Bell removed from tower. It was discovered to be cracked, and subsequently fell apart on removal. It was sold to Whitechapel, and the money went to the KCACR Bell Restoration Fund.
1974 29th Jan Declaration of redundancy scheme. The church was demolished later that year.

Full list of peals here
Full list of quarters here

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016