Header
  
Buckland Valley
 

Buckland Valley, St Nicholas


Photo: achurchnearyou.com

  • Single bell hung for swing chiming with levers
  • Tenor: 1-0-4
  • Grid Ref: TR307434
  • Bell formerly from St George's, Ham
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury


Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
Single Bell 1-0-417¼" 1701 Richard Phelps, WhitechapelNever

Inscriptions

Earlier bell from old church (originally from St Mary's Hall, Dover)

Bell DiameterDateFounderFate
Single bell8"c.1892UnknownInstalled 1948. Stolen c.1960.

Earlier bell from new church (originally from St Augustine, Margate)

Bell Weight
(most recent)
DiameterDateFounderFate
Single bell1-2-819"1901Mears & StainbankInstalled 1960. Scrapped 1977

History

1701 Bell cast bearing the inscription "1701" for St George, Ham. The bell had 6 canons.
c. 1900 A small bell was cast for St Mary's Mission Hall, Adrian St, Dover (which went on to become St Mary's Hall).
1901 A bell was cast by Mears & Stainbank for St Augustine's Church, Margate.
1948 The temporary Church of St Nicholas was dedicated by the Bishop of Dover (Bishop Rose) on the Buckland Valley Estate. The small bell from the St Mary's Mission Hall in Dover, which had been stored in the belfry of St Mary's Dover since the hall was demolished in 1938, was presented to the church by the St Mary's, Dover PCC. It was hung in a frame on a post near the church. [1] [2]
1955 St Augustine's Church, Margate was closed and the bell was taken down.
1960 The new church of St Nicholas was built on the Buckland Valley. Architect, Harold Anderson. The bell from St Augustine Margate was one of several gifts from former churches in the diocese. The builders hung it dead in the gable. At some point the small ex-St Mary's hall bell was stolen. On May 10th, the Church was dedicated by Archbishop Michael Ramsey.
1972 The Church of St George, Ham, Sandwich, became redundant. The bell was removed by KCACR members.
1976 St Nicholas was given its own parish.
1977 The new Priest-in-Charge, The Revd David Cawley discovered that the 1901 bell was cracked and was hanging dangerously, so it was taken down by KCACR members. The ex-Ham bell was offered to the church for £5 (!) on condition that it was properly refitted. This was done at a cost of £184, less £93 for the cracked bell by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry. The Richard Phelps bell from Ham was dedicated by Fr David on 1st Nov, the 30th anniversary of the establishment of a church in Buckland Valley.
[1] GIFT TO ST. NICHOLAS, BUCKLAND VALLEY. The Parochial Church Council of St. Mary's, Dover, have presented the bell which was formerly used at St. Mary's Mission, Adrian St., to the new church of St. Nicholas, Buckland Valley Estate. Here the bell has been mounted in a frame on a post near the church, to call the people to service. The bell has been stored in St. Mary's belfry since the pulling down of the Adrian Street Mission Hall in the spring of 1938. (Dover Express - Fri 5 Nov 1948)
[2] The bell now in use at St. Nicholas' Church, Buckland Valley, is the same one which, for many years, summoned people to worship at St Mary's Mission. Thanks to the efforts of Miss Boyton, the former Choirmistress at the Mission, a sum of £6, which had been subscribed by former choirboys, has been handed to the Priest-in-charge of St. Nicholas', to meet the cost of fixing the ringing apparatus. (Dover Express - Fri 19 Aug 1949)



Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 13 June 2020