Untitled Document
  
Canterbury
 

Canterbury, St Augustine's College


  • Single bell hung for swing chiming with levers
  • Tenor: 1-0-22 in C.
  • Grid Ref: TR155578
  • Diocese: Canterbury
  • Building Listed Grade: II. Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
Single bell 1-0-2217¼" C 1971 Whitechapel Bell Foundry

Inscriptions

Prior to 1971.

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Quarter 1¾ cwt approx.15"1848Charles & George MearsNeverUsed in new bell 1971.
Quarter 21¼ cwt approx.17¼"1848Charles & George MearsNeverUsed in new bell 1971.
Clock bell2 cwt approx.21"1845Charles & George MearsNeverUsed in new bell 1971.

Prior to 1942.

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Treble (of 2)1848Charles & George MearsNeverDisappeared 1942.
Tenor (of 2)1848Charles & George MearsNeverDisappeared 1942.

History

1845 A bell was cast for the college by C & G Mears. This later became the hour bell for the college clock. The first student was admitted to the college in temporary buildings.
1848 The chapel of the college was completed. The 1845 was hung in the clock turret with 2 new quarter bells (2 others were rejected). 2 bells were cast for the chapel.
1942 The college chapel was severely damaged by the blitz. The 2 bells were still in position after this.
1947 St Augustine's College was discontinued as a missionary college and became the Central College of the Anglican Communion.
1948 The chapel was restored without the gable end and the two bells disappeared.
1968 The Central College was discontinued. Until 1975 St Augustine's College was the fourth year college of the University of London.
1971 The 3 clock bells, which were of poor tone with ironwork in poor condition, were removed and a new single bell by Whitechapel was hung. The old bells weighed 3-3-15 together.
1975 The buildings became part of The King's School and are protected as part of a World Heritage Site.


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 19 August 2018