Erith, Christ Church
  • 8 bells hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 17-0-23 in E♭
  • Grid Ref: TQ512779
  • Complete ring cast at the same time
  • Rung from: Upstairs Ringing Room
  • Frame: 1915 John Warner & Sons. Bells hung only between A-frame sides
  • Denomination: Church of England
  • Diocese (Anglican): Rochester
  • Kent County Association of Change Ringers District: Lewisham
  • Building Listed Grade: II* Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower (Felstead Database)

  • Details of the Bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)
    Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
    ® Treble 4 cwt approx. 26½" E♭ 1915 John Warner & Sons Flat Never
    ® 2 4½ cwt approx. 27⅜" D 1915 John Warner & Sons Flat Never
    ® 3 5 cwt approx. 29½" C 1915 John Warner & Sons Flat Never
    ® 4 5¾ cwt approx. 31⅜" B♭ 1915 John Warner & Sons Flat Never
    ® 5 7¼ cwt approx. 34¼" A♭ 1915 John Warner & Sons Flat Never
    ® 6 8¾ cwt approx. 36⅜" G 1915 John Warner & Sons Flat Never
    ® 7 11¾ cwt approx. 40½" F 1915 John Warner & Sons Flat Never
    ® Tenor 17-0-23 46¼" E♭ 1915 John Warner & Sons Flat Never

    ® - Hung for full circle ringing

    Bellframes

    Frame Bells Year Maker Material Truss(es) Local
    Layout
    1 All bells 1915 John Warner & Sons Steel 8.1.E.c
    8.1
    Inscriptions on the Bells

    History

    1874 Church built and parish created from that of St John's, Erith.
    1915 A tower was added being the personal gift of Canon Boulden (vicar at the time) at a cost of £5776  4s, and built by J. P. St Aubyn. A clock was added, funded by public subscription. Finally a new ring of 8 bells installed, cast by John Warner and hung in a new frame consisting only of A-frame sides.
    1923 Work was done by Mears & Stainbank.
    2000 7 clappers were refurbished and new pulley boxes were fitted.
    2003 The bells were rehung with local labour.

    Literary collection

  • "Christ Church, Erith, Kent", Author unknown (The Ringing World) 7 April 1978
  • Gallery


    A postcard of the church before the spire was built.
    Photo: David Cawley collection

    A postcard of the church before the spire was built.
    Photo: David Cawley collection

    Page updated: 1 April 2016