Header
  
Northumberland Heath
 

Northumberland Heath, St Paul


  • Single bell hung for swing chiming with lever
  • Tenor: 1 cwt approx in .
  • Grid Ref: TQ501771
  • Diocese: Rochester

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
Single Bell 1 cwt approx.19" 1893 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel

History

1874 A small Mission Church was built and equipped with a small bell hanging from an open gable.
1900 The Mission Church could no longer accommodate the whole congregation, so a new church was built next to it.
1901 As the population of Northumberland Heath grew, a larger church was needed, and this, with 344 sittings, was consecrated in November 1901. Whitechapel records (27th July) a 19" stock bell, cast in 1893, supplied with clapper, wrought iron stock, iron lever, gunmetal bearings and rope.
1905 An extension was built on the front of the church, which is now used as a baptistry. It still had iron porches until they were replaced by the present one in the 1950s. The old church survived as parish rooms until 1962 when it was replaced by the present church hall.

Gallery


The church in c.1910.
Photo:


Photo:


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 31 March 2020