Untitled Document
  
Sevenoaks
 

Sevenoaks, Bradbourne House


Photo:

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
Clock bell 1 cwt approx.16⅛" 1768 Lester & Pack, Whitechapel

History

1555 Bosvilles family came to Bradbourne
1614 Private chapel built.
1689 Wooden mansion rebuilt in stone.
1768 Small bell cast by Lester & Pack.
1800 A clock was built and installed at the chapel, striking on the Lester & Pack bell. It is possible that this bell was supplied as second hand with the clock.
1871 A large bell was cast at Lyon by Burden Aine, bought by the druidic owner, Francis Crayshaw. It was sounded at 6am and 6pm daily.
1878 Crayshaw died.
1918 May The great bell, having become cracked, was sold to John Taylor's for scrap.
1927 Bradbourne was sold by Major William Gore Lambarde and finally acquired by the New Ideal Homestead Company.
1937 The derelict hall was pulled down. The chapel was later converted into a house.
2000 The clock bell was inspected by Chris Pickford.

Articles

  • "The Great Bell of Bradbourne House, Sevenoaks", Pickford, Christopher J (The Ringing World) 12 August 2012
  • "The Great Bell of Bradbourne House", Love, Dickon R and Pickford, Christopher J (Written for The Ringing World and Lovesguide) 1 January 2002
  • Gallery


    Bradbourne House Chapel
    Photo:


    Photo:


    Photo:


    Photo:

    Francis Crawshay's obelish memorial in Brasted church yard.
    Photo: Christopher Pickford, 2002

    Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016