Header
  
Lewisham
 

Lewisham, St Saviour and Ss John the Baptist and Evangelist (RC)


Photo: Stephen Craven, 2014

  • 8 tubular bells which may or may not still be there
  • Grid Ref: TQ382753
  • Bells used to be visible at the top of the campanile, but not these days
  • Denomination: Roman Catholic
    Diocese (RC): Southwark
    Area (RC): London
    Deanery (RC): Lewisham
  • Building Listed Grade: II Click for Heritage details.

Earlier Tubular Bells

Bell Date Founder Fate
1 1929-39 Harrington, Holland & Co., Coventry Fate unknown
2 1929-39 Harrington, Holland & Co., Coventry Fate unknown
3 1929-39 Harrington, Holland & Co., Coventry Fate unknown
4 1929-39 Harrington, Holland & Co., Coventry Fate unknown
5 1929-39 Harrington, Holland & Co., Coventry Fate unknown
6 1929-39 Harrington, Holland & Co., Coventry Fate unknown
7 1929-39 Harrington, Holland & Co., Coventry Fate unknown
8 1929-39 Harrington, Holland & Co., Coventry Fate unknown

History

1909 Thue church was built from the original designs of Claude Kelly (son of John Kelly, who is erroneously credited with the designs in the Historic England listings). The builder was F J Bradford or Leicester and cost £2,000. The foundation stone was laid on 24 April and opened on 9 Dec that year.
1929 The tower was built, rising to 126 feet featuring a 12 foot high statue of Christ the King on top of it. It is likely that the 8 tubular bells, which were subsequently reported to be in the tower, were installed at that time, and certainly within a decade after this.
1950 Record of 8 tubular bells [1]
[1] St.Saviour RC (SE13) - 8 (Church Bells of Great Britain, Dove, R H (1950))



Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 25 April 2020