Eastchurch, All Saints
  • 6 bells hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 10-0-7 in G
  • Grid Ref: TQ988714
  • Rung from: Open Gallery
  • Frame: 1911 Mears & Stainbank
  • Denomination: Church of England
  • Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
  • Archdeaconry (Anglican): Maidstone
  • Kent County Association of Change Ringers District: Rochester
  • Building Listed Grade: I Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower (Felstead Database)

  • Details of the Bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)

    (As supplied 1911)
    Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
    ® Treble 3-2-20 4-0-21 27⅛" E 1911 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel 2005 Whitechapel
    ® 2 4½ cwt approx. 27½" D 1634 John Wilnar, Borden, Kent 2005 Whitechapel
    ® 3 5½ cwt approx. 30" C 1623 John Wilnar, Borden, Kent 2005 Whitechapel
    ® 4 6½ cwt approx. 33½" B 1623 John Wilnar, Borden, Kent 2005 Whitechapel
    ® 5 8 cwt approx. 36" A 1605 Joseph Hatch, Ulcombe, Kent 2005 Whitechapel
    ® Tenor 10-0-7 10-2-27 40" G 1911 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel 2005 Whitechapel

    ® - Hung for full circle ringing

    Bellframes

    Frame Bells Year Maker Material Truss(es) Local
    Layout
    1 All bells 1911 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Cast iron , 6.1
    Inscriptions on the Bells

    How the bells are tuned

    Earlier bell

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)
    Diameter Date Founder Retuned Fate
    Tenor (of 5) 11-0-9 40½" 1623 John Wilnar Never Recast 1911
    History

    1243 Original church established and belonged to the Abbey of Our Lady of the Dunes. (It was on a different site.)
    1431 William Cheyne gave a portion of land on which to build a new church. The church was designed and built by William Nudds, a Cisterian monk of Boxley, who became the first vicar.
    1432 All Saints Day The new church was consecrated.
    1605 Present 5th cast.
    1623 Present 3rd & 4th cast. Tenor cast by John Wilnar.
    1634 Treble (of 5) added or recast (?).
    1665 Bells rehung by an Essex bell hanger. [1]
    1695 -1696 Bells rehung with new fittings.
    1911 Trebles added, tenor recast (as a piece had been broken out of the sound bow) and all bells rehung in a new frame by Mears & Stainbank.
    2005 Bells retuned and rehung in a strengthened frame by Whitechapel.

    [1] The Bel-hanger for new hanging our bells was paid £5-2s and 15s and 6d was given for five new bell ropes' ('Church Warden accounts (1665))
    Peal boards

    Timber Performance Board dated approx. 1994

  • Nov 1994: 5040 S Minor (7m) (Visit by HM Queen Elizabeth II to open new section of the school.)

  • Photo: Michael A Birkbeck, 27 April 2024

    Timber Performance Board dated approx. 1970

  • Apr 1970 : 5040 Minor (2m) (In memoriam Leslie Wilkinson, Rector.)

  • Photo: Michael A Birkbeck, 27 April 2024

    Timber Performance Board dated approx. 1969

  • Jul 1969: 5040 Minor (7m) (Election of Alderman Bernard Bigg as Mayor of Queenborough.)

  • Photo: Michael A Birkbeck, 27 April 2024

    Timber Performance Board dated approx. 2002

  • Jun 2002 : 5040 Minor (6m) (Golden Jubilee of HM Queen Elizabeth II.)

  • Photo: Michael A Birkbeck, 27 April 2024

    Timber Performance Board dated approx. 1967

  • Nov 1967: 5040 Minor (4m) (In appreciation of Rev Leslie Wilkinson, Rector, in his induction at Ash.)

  • Photo: Michael A Birkbeck, 27 April 2024

    Timber Performance Board dated approx. 1968

  • Jul 1968: 5040 Plain Bob Minor (Local band for induction of Rev Peter Blagdon-Gamlen.)

  • Photo: Michael A Birkbeck, 27 April 2024


    Page updated: 1 April 2016