Untitled Document
  
Bromley
 

Bromley, St Mark


Photo: Dickon Love, 2007

  • Single bell fixed chime
  • Tenor: 3-0-0 in G.
  • Grid Ref: TQ403685
  • Frame: Small timber frame in leaded hut on the tower roof, dated 1903.
  • Diocese: Rochester
  • Building Listed Grade: . Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
1 3-0-024" G 1903 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon Never

Inscriptions

How the bells are tuned

History

1898 22nd Oct Church consecrated.
1903 Bell cast and supplied (Nov) by Gillett & Johnston. It was originally hung in an open gable above the chancel.
1911 2nd Nov Side chapel dedicated.
1948 Parish created from Ss Peter & Paul, Bromley.
1953 Church rebuilt (with former tower) by D. Evelyn Nye & Partners.

Gallery


The bell shown on the top of the tower in its own hut. There is a clock hammer on it together with a rope round the clapper to enable it to be chimed from the base of the tower.
Photo: Dickon Love, 30 Jan 2005

The hut.
Photo: Dickon Love, 30 Jan 2005

The vast empty bell chamber, capable of holding a decent sized ring of 8 or 10 bells. Funds unfortunately did not permit the installation of the ring in 1903, and no moves have been made since, so the tower remains silent.
Photo: Dickon Love, 30 Jan 2005

The church in 1038. The bell can clearly be seen on top of the chancel.
Photo: Dickon Love collection


Photo: Dickon Love collection

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 31 August 2016