Header
  
Bromley Common
 

Bromley Common, St Augustine


Photo: Dickon R Love, 19 Apr 2020

  • Single bell hung in open gable
  • Grid Ref: TQ428676
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Rochester


Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
Single bell

 - Hung dead

History

1912 The owner of Turpington Farm offered to sell part of an orchard across the road from the farm as the site for a 'Tin Tabernacle' mission chapel, to be used as part of the parish of St Luke, Bromley Common.
1946 The Diocese of Rochester purchased the site of Blackbrook House, which had been badly damaged in 1940 when a parachute mine landed nearby. This was about half a mile to the east of the church and closer to the centre of the parish and the site of a new church to be built by Victor Heal.
1957 After many years of fundraising, the foundation stone was laid on 28 Sept.
1958 The new church was consecrated in October. It was supplied with a small bell hanging in an open gable.

Gallery


The bell hanging in its gable.
Photo:

Elsewhere in the Parish

Bromley, Board School


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 31 December 2021