Untitled Document
  
Tunbridge Wells
 

Tunbridge Wells, St James


Photo: Dickon Love, 29th Jan 2005

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
Single Bell 12-1-141½" G♭ 1863 George Mears & Co., Whitechapel Never

Inscriptions

How the bells are tuned

History

1862 Parish created from that of Holy Trinity, Tunbridge Wells. Church opened 15th May. It was built to the design of Ewan Christian Esq. of Whitehall Place, Westminster.
1863 Bell cast by George Mears and hung for ringing in a timber frame on a lead floor open to the elements through the tower openings. The frame wasn't fixed to the floor and therefore would move when rung.

Gallery


The single bell, hung for ringing, but unringable through poor framework and fittings.
Photo: Dickon Love, 29 Jan 2005

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016