Header
  
Tunbridge Wells
 

Tunbridge Wells, Trinity Arts Centre (formerly Holy Trinity church)


Photo: Dickon R Love, 23 Sept 2017

  • Single bell hung for swing chiming with lever
  • Tenor: 3-3-23
  • Grid Ref: TQ583394
  • Frame: 2 timber beams
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Rochester
  • Building Listed Grade: II* Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)*
Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
҂ Single Bell 3-3-2327" 1933 John Taylor & Co., Loughborough Never

* Source of weight figures: John Taylor records
҂  - Hung for swing chiming

Inscriptions

Prior to 1933

Bell Weight
(most recent)
DiameterDateFounderRetunedFate
Single bell3-0-2224¼"1829Thomas Mears IINeverRecast 1933.

History

1827 The foundation stone of the church was laid on 17 Aug. The architect was Decimus Burton and the builders were Henry and Aaron Barrett of Tunbridge Wells.
1829 The church was completed and consecrated in September. The building originally cost £12,000. A bell was provided either by or through W. Gilbert, who also provided a bell for King Charles the Martyr Church in the town. The lettering resembles that of T. Mears II. It was hung with a wheel.
1833 Parish created from Ss Peter & Paul, Tonbridge.
1933 The bell was taken down and recast by Taylors of Loughborough, and hung on the old beams for swing chiming with a lever. The cost was £60. 11s. 0d.
1974 The church was declared redundant.
1982 The building was converted into an Arts Centre. The bell is still there and the building still remains under the Church Commissions' jurisdiction.



Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 14 March 2021