Header
  
Perry Hill
 

Perry Hill, St George (Old Church)


  • Formerly single bell hung for full circle ringing and 2 clock bells
  • Grid Ref: TQ367729
  • Diocese: Southwark

Bells in the former tower

Bell Weight
(most recent)
DiameterDateFounderFate
Clock 14-0-026"1889John Warner & SonsTransferred to Lynsted as the treble of 6.
Clock 24-2-2529"1889John Warner & SonsTransferred to St Paul, Canonbury as a clock bell
Service bell9 cwt approx.27"1879John Warner & SonsFormerly hung for ringing. Damaged or stolen 1999.

History

1878 Building began on the church which was designed by William Coppard Banks and built. [1]
1879 A service bell was cast by John Warner & Sons.
1880 Parish created from St Mary the Virgin, Lewisham and Christ Church, Forest Hill. Church consecrated on 16 Jan by the Bishop of Rochester. [2]
1889 John Warner & Sons cast 2 clock bells.
1975 GPE Southwark Survey (19 Apr) notes 2 clock bells (with Doncaster Heads) fixed to a beam and a service bell hung for ringing in a wooden frame.
1999 Church demolished due to severe structural problems. The ringing bell was either damaged or stolen. The two clock bells were sent to the Keltek Trust for use elsewhere.
2004 The new church was opened on Christmas Eve with a synthetic bells system in the tower.
2007 Of the old clock bells, the lighter one went to Lynsted to augment the ring of 5 to 6. The larger went to St Paul's, Canonbury as a clock bell.
2009
[1] NEW CHURCH AT PERRY HILL. The building of the George’s church has begun. We understand that it is very fine, especially in some of its details, which are quite new. The order of architecture is early decorated Gothic. It is to seat over people, besides having considerable space devoted to vestibules, porches, etc , which will make it one of the most perfectly arranged churched for the avoidance of draught. The cost of the church, which is over £7,000, will be defrayed by George Parker, Esq , J.P., of Lewisham, while the funds required for organ, furniture, endowment, etc., amounting to between £3,000 and £4,000, will have to be provided by the liberality of the parishioners of Christ Church, Forest Hill, and Mary’s, Lewisham, out of which the new district is to be taken. (Kentish Mercury, 27 July 1878)
[2] The Bishop of Rochester consecrated on Saturday last the new Church of St George's, Perry-Hill, Lewisham. The cost of the church £9000, has been entirely defrayed by Mr George Parker, of Lewisham. (Illustrated London News, 24 Jan 1880)

Gallery


The old church.
Photo: David Cawley collection


Photo:


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 2 April 2020