Header
  
Sutton Valence
 

Sutton Valence, St Mary


  • Single bell hung for swing chiming with lever
  • Tenor: 6 cwt approx.
  • Grid Ref: TQ810491
  • Frame: 1832 braced centre-posts and corner posts strengthened 1971
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Maidstone
  • Building Listed Grade: II Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
҂ 1 6 cwt approx.32" 1732 Richard Phelps, WhitechapelNever

҂  - Hung for swing chiming

Inscriptions

History

1732 Bell that is currently the sole survivor was cast by Richard Phelps.
1832 Church rebuilt. It is assumed that 3 of the former ring of 4 bells there were disposed of at that time.
1894 Bell given a new headstock (this is the date inscribed on it). At this stage the bell was hung for ringing and all the other fittings seemed to date from this time.
1971 On 27 July the bell was fitted with a new timber headstock, ball bearings, clappers and independent staple and a chiming lever by Whitechapel. The work was done by Harry Parkes and David Cawley.

Elsewhere in the Parish

Sutton Valence, Schools
Hour bell and 3 quarter chimes


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 9 April 2020