Dover, St Mary the Virgin
  • 8 bells hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 15-2-9 in E♭
  • Grid Ref: TR319415
  • Rung from: Open Gallery
  • Frame: 2002 Whites of Appleton
  • Denomination: Church of England
  • Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
  • Archdeaconry (Anglican): Ashford
  • Kent County Association of Change Ringers District: Canterbury
  • Building Listed Grade: II* Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower (Felstead Database)

  • Details of the Bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)

    (Quoted prior to 2002)
    Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
    ® Treble 5-0-7 5-3-2 27" E♭ 1898 John Warner & Sons Removed 2002 Whitechapel
    ® 2 4-3-1 31½" D 1724 Samuel Knight, Southwark Removed 2002 Whitechapel
    ® 3 5-2-24 32½" C 1724 Samuel Knight, Southwark Removed 2002 Whitechapel
    ® 4 6-2-9 34" B♭ 1724 Samuel Knight, Southwark Removed 2002 Whitechapel
    ® 5 8-3-26 37½" A♭ 1724 Samuel Knight, Southwark Removed 2002 Whitechapel
    ® 6 9-1-7 38½" G 1725 Samuel Knight, Southwark Removed 2002 Whitechapel
    ® 7 11-0-2 42" F 1724 Samuel Knight, Southwark Removed 2002 Whitechapel
    ® Tenor 15-2-9 16-3-26 46" E♭ 1724 Samuel Knight, Southwark Removed 2002 Whitechapel

    ® - Hung for full circle ringing

    Bellframes

    Frame Bells Year Maker Material Truss(es) Local
    Layout
    1 All bells 2002 Whites of Appleton 8.3
    Inscriptions on the Bells

    Earlier bell

    Bell Date Founder Retuned Fate
    Treble 1724 Samuel Knight Never Recast 1898
    History

    1724 Bells recast into a new octave by Samuel Knight.
    1795 Record of 8 bells in the tower. [1]
    1898 Tower repaired, treble recast and bells rehung in a new composite frame by John Warner.
    1947 Bells rehung by Mears & Stainbank.
    2002 Bells retuned and rehung in a new frame by Whites of Appleton. A new ringing gallery was created while the old esteemed ringing room was preserved. The old frame went to Walcot, Lincs.

    [1] The present Church is undoubtedly very antient, particularly the square tower at the West end of the Nave, which is clearly of Saxon Architecture; within it is now a good clock, which strikes the quarters, and a pleasant ring of eight bells; and it is crowned with a tall spire leaded.' ('Zechariah Cozens, 1795)
    Literary collection

  • "Dover Restoration nearing completion", Dale, Peter T (The Ringing World) 23 August 2002
  • Gallery


    The bells, having been removed from the tower, on their way to Whitechapel to be retuned.
    Photo: Peter Dale, April 2002

    And here the new frame is put together at the workshop of Whites of Appleton.
    Photo: Peter Dale, April 2002
    Bells elsewhere in the parish


    Page updated: 1 April 2016