Header
  
Deal
 

Deal, St Leonard


  • 6 bells hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 9-2-0 in G♯.
  • Grid Ref: TR362518
  • Complete ring cast at the same time
  • Rung from: Upstairs Ringing Room
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Ashford
  • Kent County Association of Change Ringers District: Canterbury
  • Building Listed Grade: II* Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
® Treble 4-1-1627¼" E♯ 1887 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Conventional Never
® 2 4-3-1628¾" D♯ 1887 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Conventional Never
® 3 5-1-2030½" C♯ 1887 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Conventional Never
® 4 6-0-1532¼" B♯ 1887 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Conventional Never
® 5 7-1-1634½" A♯ 1887 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Conventional Never
® Tenor 9-2-038½" G♯ 1887 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Conventional Never

®  - Hung for full circle ringing

Inscriptions

How the bells are tuned

Earlier ring of five

Bell Weight
(most recent)
DiameterDateFounderRetunedFate
Treble4-1-429½"1685Christopher HodsonNeverRecast 1887.
2nd4-3-231"1685Christopher HodsonNeverRecast 1887.
3rd6-1-1033½"1685Christopher HodsonNeverCracked in the sound bow. Recast 1887.
4th8-0-1037½"1685Christopher HodsonNeverRecast 1887.
Tenor10-2-441"1685Christopher HodsonNeverRecast 1887.

History

1658 The tower and steeple collapsed.  At this time the tower had at least 3 bells.
1684 Tower built.
1685 The present tower was completed and a new ring of 5 bells was cast and hung in a new timber frame by Christopher Hodson.
1759 Record of 5 bells in the tower. [1]
1795 Record of 5 bells in the tower. [2]
1886 Records show that the 3rd was cracked in the soundbow.
1887 Stahlschmidt noted that the 3rd of 5 was cracked in the soundbow. Later that year, the bells were recast into a ring of 6 by Mears & Stainbank. They were hung in the old frame, which was modified to accept the 6th bell. The bells were dedicated on 13th October.
1951 Bearings and other frictional parts replaced by Mears & Stainbank.
[1] "This Church consists of the Chancell, Body, and 2 Side Isles. The Tower, wch. Is cap’t with a kind of wooden Spire, stands at the West End. There are 5 Bells in it, all founded by Christopher Hodson 1658." (Rev’d Bryan Faussett, 1759)
[2] The Church, which is a handsome structure, situated at the right side of the road, consists of a Nave, with two side ailes, and one chancel, with a handsome square tower at the West end, built of brick, with rusticated stone quoins. It contains a peal of five Bells. (Zechariah Cozens, 1795)

Gallery


The belfry.
Photo: Dickon Love, Apr 2011


Photo: Dickon Love, Apr 2011


Photo: Dickon Love, Apr 2011

The inside of the lantern on the tower.
Photo: Dickon Love, Apr 2011
Recent Peals
The most recent performances, according to BellBoard.
2011-04-305040 Surprise Minor (7m)
1949-01-015040 Grandsire Doubles
Recent Quarter Peals
The most recent performances, according to BellBoard.
2019-09-101440 Cambridge Surprise Minor
2019-05-041260 Single Oxford Bob Minor
2016-12-201260 Julie McDonnell Bob Doubles
2016-08-151260 Plain Bob Minor
2014-02-201272 London Surprise Minor
2013-08-271260 Plain Bob Minor
2012-06-091260 Plain Bob Doubles
2012-06-091260 Doubles (1p/7m)
2011-08-101269 Spliced Surprise Minor (3m)
1975-07-261260 Plain Bob Minor
Full list of peals on Bellboard here
Full list of quarters on Bellboard here


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016