Header
  
Ramsgate
 

Ramsgate, St Paul


  • Church demolished, formerly single bell
  • Formerly single bell, transferred to St Christopher, Newington (near Ramsgate) and thereafter to Africa. Church demolished.
  • Grid Ref: TR384652
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Canterbury


Prior to 1959

Bell DateFounderFate
1UnknownBell went to St Christopher's Newington, then Africa.

History

1873 The foundation stone was laid by the Bishop of Dover on 18 Nov. It was designed by Mr Robert Wheeler of Tunbridge Wells and built by Messrs Smith & Son of Waterloo Villa, Ramsgate.
1874 The church was consecrated by Archbishop Tait on 22 May.
1886 The church needed enlarging, and the first stone of this new enlarged church was laid by Colonel King Harman, MP on 29 July. It had a bell tower 60 feet high.
1887 The church was consecrated by Archbishop Benson on 25th January. St Paul's was made a separate parish in that year. Church assigned its own district. Stahlschmidt recorded "Presumably one modern bell."
1939 This church (along with St Luke and St Mary) were closed during hostilities.
1940 The church was closed in July.
1959 The church was demolished in January. The bell went to St Christopher, Newington and eventually went to Africa.

Pictures of the church



Photo:


Photo:


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 7 April 2022