Untitled Document
  
Ramsgate
 

Ramsgate, Christ Church


Photo: David Cawley 2005

  • Hung for full circle ringing but unringable and a clock bell
  • Tenor: 4-2-14 in G.
  • Grid Ref: TR376646
  • Rung from: Upstairs Ringing Room
  • Diocese: Canterbury
  • Building Listed Grade: II. Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
Clock Bell 9-1-038½" G 1878 Gillett, Bland & Co, Croydon Never
Single Bell 4-2-1428½" D♯ 1884 Gillett, Bland & Co, Croydon Never

Inscriptions

Prior to 1878

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Single bell1847Charles & George MearsNever?Recast 1878

History

1846 -7 Church built; architect, G. G. (later Sir Gilbert) Scott complete with a fine, large tower and spire.
1847 4th August Church consecrated. Bell cast by C & G Mears and hung in the tower.
1848 Parish formed from St Laurence's.
1877 Parish enlarged from St Laurence's.
1878 Hour bell supplied by Gillett, Bland & Co, hung "dead", complete with clapper for tolling. A clock also installed by the same firm.
1884 The Gillett records show a bell received (19/2/1884) and a new one dispatched (29/2/1884) having been 'recast to the same weight'. It was rehung with its predecessor's frame and fittings.
1887 Stahlschmidt recorded 3 bells: "One by C & G Mears of London dated 1847; and two by Gillett, Bland and Co., Croydon." He was clearly wrong about the Mears bell.

Gallery


The ringing bell of 1884 in a frame dated 1847.
Photo: David Cawley, 2005

The ringing bell. Note the angular canons, which are unusual for Gillett.
Photo: David Cawley, 2005

The hour bell of 1878 in a contemporary frame.
Photo: David Cawley, 2005

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016