Untitled Document

Ramsgate, St George the Martyr

Photo: Postcard from DLC collection

  • Single bell hung for full circle ringing but unringable
  • Tenor: 10½ cwt approx. in A.
  • Grid Ref: TR381652
  • Rung from: Upstairs Ringing Room
  • Frame: Lowside type oak with rather slight braces.
  • Diocese: Canterbury
  • Building Listed Grade: I. Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
1 10½ cwt approx.38¼" A 1827 Thomas Mears II

1942 - 1985

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Stored Bell3½ cwt approx.25"G♯1797Thomas Mears INeverFrom St Mary's, transferred to Gt Chart


1789 St Mary’s Chapel built and provided with one bell.
1797 "Broken" bell exchanged for a new one at a cost of £12.7s.3d
1824 30th Aug Foundation stone of St George’s Church laid by Archbishop Manners-Sutton
1827 Church consecrated in the Presence of Princess (later Queen) Victoria on 23rd October. Architects were Henry Hemesley & H. E. Kendall. Trinity House contributed handsomely to the cost of the lofty lantern on the tower, which is still a sea mark. A bell was "hired" from the Whitechapel Foundry at 5% of its value p.a. Either it is still on loan, or else was purchased later! The tower was stated to be "vaulted underneath and capable of taking eight bells".
1832 A magnificent clock, still in use, was provided by B. J. Vulliamy, Clockmaker to The King. Its pendulum bob, marked VULLIAMY 1cwt 1qr 11lb LONDON swings directly over the chiming manual for the tubular bells.
1888 A set of ten tubular bells was given by Mr G. J. Palmer and dedicated 1st November.
1929 The tubular bells were overhauled and a flat 6th added.
1942 9th Nov St Mary's, Chapel Place, Ramsgate was bombed. The single bell at some point was transferred to St George's and stored on the NW porch access to the gallery.
1947 Dec The 1827 bell was stripped of its wheel and given a lever clapper, and the tubular bells overhauled by Gillett & Johnston.
1955 St Mary’s Church ruins demolished.
1985 The ex-St Mary’s bell was acquired by the KCACR and given to Great Chart.
1993 The single bell was rehung with a deadstock and electric hammer by Whitechapel.

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016