Header
  
Otterden
 

Otterden, St Lawrence


Photo: Dickon Love

  • Single bell hung for full circle ringing in the roof space
  • Tenor: 2 cwt approx.
  • Grid Ref: TQ947541
  • Redundant private chapel, although services take place in the summer months.
  • Frame: Timber frame
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Maidstone
  • Building Listed Grade: II* Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
® 1 2 cwt approx.24" Undated Joseph Hatch, Ulcombe, KentNever

®  - Hung for full circle ringing

Inscriptions

History

1753 Building of the church began, as a parish church, possibly designed by the Rev. Granville Wheler of Otterden Place, on the footings of an earlier Medieval nave.
1887 Stahlschmidt recorded one bell by Joseph Hatch of 24", but no other details. The bell is hung in a small frame in the roof space, hung for full circle ringing with a latchet stay and horizontal slider.
1894 The chancel was built.
1980 On 17 Dec this private chapel was declared redundant, although services are held in the summer months.

Gallery



Photo: Graham Heath, Oct 2015


Photo: Graham Heath, Oct 2015


Photo: Graham Heath, Oct 2015


Photo: Graham Heath, Oct 2015


Photo: Graham Heath, Oct 2015


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 May 2020