Header
  
Margate
 

Margate, Holy Trinity Old Church


Photo: David Cawley collection

  • Church demolished, formerly single bell hung for full circle ringing, 10-3-2
  • Grid Ref: TR356711
  • Diocese: Canterbury

Prior to 1959

Bell Weight
(most recent)
DiameterDateFounderFate
Single bell10-3-240¼"1829Thomas Mears IIRecast 1959 for New Church.

History

1825 Church built. The Foundation stone was laid by Dr Manners-Sutton, Archbishop of Canterbury on 27th September. Mr William Edmunds of Margate was the architect. The Margate Pier & Harbour Co. made a grant of £2k as the fine 136ft pinnacles tower was to be of value as a sea mark, provided that it was approved as such by Trinity House (who themselves contributed).
1829 The church was consecrated by Dr William Howley, Archbishop of Canterbury on 11 Jun. A bell was purchased from Thomas Mears and was hung for ringing in a frame 9’ 6" high!
1842 Church separated from St John's and assigned its own district in 1842, becoming "Holy Trinity Church".
1845 Clock (by Thwaites & Reed) purchased by subscription.
1903 Estimate for a ring of 8 bells prepared by Mears & Stainbank, together with an extension to the church, towards which friends of Canon Pryor (the Vicar) promised £3000. [1]
1943 The church was bombed on 1 Jun. The tower and its contents survived. Services continued in the church hall.
1956 Services transferred to St Mary’s Chapel, Northdown Park. The Friend family who owned it gave the chapel and the surrounding land for a new church.
1957 Building of the new church commenced on 21 Oct. It is an enlarged version, especially the tower, of Little Chart, by the same architect, Harold Anderson.
1958 The demolition of the magnificent tower caused a rumpus.
2009 The 4th had new gudgeons fitted to its headstock.
[1] On April 18th, 1903 ... The restoration was next discussed. The Vicar said that it was proposed to extend the chancel, add transepts and proper vestries and to restore the fabric. He announced that some friends of his had undertaken to provide half the cost of extension and half the cost of a peal of bells. ... It was stated that the Tower would he absolutely safe for a peal of bells weighing three-and-a-half tons. ... The Vicar said that his friends would provide £3,000 towards the extension and the peal of bells. ... There were some who demurred at the bells, but the whole of the discussions were left to the newly formed Church Council. ... It must be noted here that the peal of bells was never erected. The scheme caused a certain amount of discontent and a deputation waited on the Vicar. The Vicar promised that the bells would cause no trouble, that, for practices they would be swung dumb, and that in special circumstances they would not be pealed at all. Nevertheless, the idea was dropped. (A Short History of Holy Trinity Margate 1825 - 1932, Walton, Hugh Merscy)

Gallery



Photo: David Cawley collection


Photo: David Cawley collection


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 29 March 2020