Untitled Document
  
Halstead
 

Halstead, St Margaret


Photo: Dickon Love, Jan 2005

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
Single Bell 5 cwt approx.29½" C♯ 1612 William Carter, Whitechapel Never

Inscriptions

How the bells are tuned

Prior to 1845

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
1612William CarterNeverScrapped 1845
1612William CarterNeverScrapped 1845
1612William CarterNeverScrapped 1845
1612William CarterNeverScrapped 1845

History

1609 Church (which was the chapel of Halstead Park) was rebuilt and equipped with 4 bells (according to Hasted).
1612 Up to 4 new bells cast by William Carter, probably the ones given by Sir Thomas Watson.
1846 3rd Jan Whitechapel Daybook notes:- Revd. Edward Heawood, To Cash for 2 old bells, 3-3-18 and 6-3-20 (together 10-3-2 gross, 10-2-20 nett) £39.17.0. Another note claims the first bell was 3-3-10.
1880 Present church built (on a different site).
1897 Church enlarged.

Gallery


A close up of the bell hanging in the gable end.
Photo: Dickon Love, 29 Jan 2005

A print, dated 1838, of the original church. The tower used to contain a ring of 5 bells.
Photo:

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016