Untitled Document
  
Gravesend
 

Gravesend, St James


Photo:

  • Church demolished, formerly 1 ringable bell, 4cwt approx
  • Grid Ref: TQ644739
  • Diocese: Rochester
  • Building Listed Grade: . Click for Heritage details.

Prior to 1968

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Single bell4 cwt approx.26"1851Charles & George MearsNeverPresumably disposed of in 1968

History

1851 Bell cast by Charles & George Mears. It was hung for ringing, rung from the ground floor. The rope used to hang down the front left of the chancel as viewed from the nave.
1852 Church built and parish created from St George's, Gravesend.
1951 St James' took over from St George's as the Parish Church for Gravesend, demoting St George's to being a Chapel of unity.
1968 Church demolished. St George's was restored as the Parish Church.


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016