Untitled Document
  
Fairfield
 

Fairfield, St Thomas-a-Becket


Photo: David Cawley

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
Tenor 3-0-1124" 1913 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Never
2 2-1-1021⅞" 1913 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Never
Treble 1-2-2619⅞" 1913 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Never

Inscriptions

Earlier ring of three

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Treble2-1-1622½"1418-1440John WalgraveNeverRecast 1913
22-0-2523½"1418-1440John WalgraveNeverRecast 1913
Tenor2-1-1825"1474John DanyellNeverRecast 1913

History

1418 - 1440 Two (or 3) bells cast by John Walgrave (treble and 2nd of 3).
c 1475 Bell cast (or recast) by John Danyell (tenor of 3).
1552 Record of the 3 bells in the tower. [1]
1799 Record of 1 bell. [2]
1913 The church was completely reconstructed by W. D. Caroe using as much of the old material as possible; this included a good proportion of the old bell frame. The foundry provided only for recasting the three bells (£16.16s.0d.) and three sets of fittings
[1] Item in the steple iij small bells. Mem: Sold . . . One handbell and a sacryng bell. (Edwardian Inventory, 1552)
[2] The church, which is dedicated to St. Thomas, (Becket) the martyr, is very small, and built of brick. It consists of one isle and one chancel, having a low pointed wooden turret at the west end, in which hangs one bell. ('The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent. Vol 8', Edward Hasted)

Gallery


The church in floods. Picture before 1913.
Photo: David Cawley collection

Another picture of the church prior to 1913.
Photo: David Cawley collection
Recent Quarter Peals
The most recent performances, according to BellBoard.
2011-08-091260 Bifter Singles
Full list of peals here
Full list of quarters here

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016