Elmley, St James
|Photo: Derek Faulkner collection||
Before the church was demolished.
|Single bell||1¼ cwt approx.||18¼"||1856||Charles & George Mears||Never||Fate unknown after church demolished in 1951|
|1854||Bell cast by Charles & George Mears. It was hung in an open gable at the end of the church.|
|1951||The village of Elmley was a settlement of around 200 people in the late 19th century. It consisted of the Turkey Cement Works, which was the major employer for the area, as well as a school, a church, a public house and 30 dwellings. The cement works closed in 1902 and the population dwindled thereafter. Elmley School closed in the 1920s and the church was demolished in 1951. The fate of the bell is unknown.|
|Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent||Page updated: 30 April 2017|