Untitled Document

Dover, St James the Apostle (New Church)


Prior to 1953.

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Treble4 cwt approx.29"1862Naylor Vickers & Co.NeverScrapped in 1953
2nd4½ cwt approx.31"1861Naylor Vickers & Co.NeverScrapped in 1953
3rd6 cwt approx.35"1862Naylor Vickers & Co.NeverScrapped in 1953
4th7½ cwt approx.39"1862Naylor Vickers & Co.NeverScrapped in 1953
5th9 cwt approx.41"1861Naylor Vickers & Co.NeverScrapped in 1953
Tenor12 cwt approx.45"1861Naylor Vickers & Co.NeverScrapped in 1953


1860 20th August Foundation stone of the new church was laid.
1861 The church was built with a north-western tower and spire, opened the following year. A ring of 6 steel bells was cast by Naylor Vickers. It cost £54. 2s. 8d. [1]
1862 20th August Church consecrated.
1935 Bells rehung by Gillett & Johnson. The ringers practiced at St Mary's while the work was being carried out.
1940 -44 The church was damaged by shelling during the War.
1953 The church was demolished. The bells were thrown over the edge of the tower and scrapped. One was so corroded it had a hole in it. One bell was kept for St Alban's, Old Park, Dover (now demolished).
[1] For the building of new St James' Church we read that the expenses in laying foundation stone were £3. 11s. 4d. Some of the main expenditure in the building of the church was as follows: July 1861, and 1862: W.Moxon contractor for work executed under Contract for building church up to the time of his failure: £4,398. 1s. 9d; Works executed subsequently in completing Walls and Roof of the church £1707. 7s. 4d; Messrs Fry and Pepper contract for pewing, galleries etc £2071. 4s. 8d; Fry and Pepper for enclosure walls £310. 6s. 3d; Hart & Son for Gas Fittings, Iron fencing etc: £580. 2s. 8d; Carver: £152. 9s. 6d; Holmes for Painting and Staining £178. 11s. Clerk of Works £338. 12s. 8d; East window expenses: £41. 15s. Architect, commission etc £788. 9s. 7d. Warming contract £200; Naylor & Co. Bells etc £54. 2s. 8d; …. Etc. (Church accounts)

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016