Untitled Document

Dover, St James the Apostle (Old Church)


  • Church ruined, formerly ring of 6, tenor 17½ cwt approx
  • Grid Ref: TR322415
  • Rung from: Don't know / not applicable
  • Diocese: Canterbury
  • Building Listed Grade: II. Click for Heritage details.

Prior to 1951

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Single bell3-4 cwt approx.1872John Warner & SonsNeverMoved to St Mary's in 1951 then scrapped.

Prior to 1861

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Treble5 cwt approx.30½"1748UnknownNeverRobert Catlin or Thomas Lester.Scrapped in c.1861.
2nd6½ cwt approx.33½"1637John WilnarNeverScrapped in c.1861
3rd8 cwt approx.37"1637John WilnarNeverScrapped in c.1861
4th9 cwt approx.38"1637John WilnarNeverScrapped in c.1861
5th12½ cwt approx.43"1637John WilnarNeverScrapped in c.1861
Tenor17½ cwt approx.47"1637John WilnarNeverScrapped in c.1861


1637 Ring of 5 bells cast by John Wilnar.
1724 The church was visited by the College Youths prior to a peal at St Mary the Virgin.
1748 A treble was given to augment the ring to 6. It is not known who cast it, but it was probably Robert Catlin or Thomas Lester.
1861 The 6 bells were traded away to pay for a ring of 6 steel bells for St James the Apostle New Church.
1862 The church was sold and the bells sold to Naylor Vickers to pay for steel bells in the New Church. The building was closed.
1869 The church was restored.
1872 A bell was cast by John Warner & Sons (about 3-4 cwt) and hung in one of the vacant pits of the 6-bell frame.
1940 -44 The church was severely damaged by shelling during the War. The south east corner of the central tower fell during the shelling.
1951 2nd May The entire tower, except for the north side, which stood to its full height, collapsed. The north side was subsequently levelled to the nave level, leaving the newell staircase in position. The bell was removed to St Mary's before being disposed of.

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016