Untitled Document

Chevening, St Botolph


Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
(As measured 1938)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
1 3-1-21 G 2007 Whitechapel Bell Foundry
2 3-2-13 F♯ 2007 Whitechapel Bell Foundry
3 4-0-1526½" E 1999 Whitechapel Bell Foundry
4 4-1-628⅜" D 1715 Richard Phelps, Whitechapel 4-1-8
5 5-2-130¼" C♯ 1999 Whitechapel Bell Foundry
6 6-1-831¾" B 1999 Whitechapel Bell Foundry
7 8-0-2635" A 1999 Whitechapel Bell Foundry
8 10-1-1338½" G 1938 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 10-1-17


The earlier ring of six

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Treble4¾ cwt approx.28⅜"D♯1715Richard PhelpsNeverStill in the tower
2nd5½ cwt approx.C♯1715Richard PhelpsNeverLost
3rd6 cwt approx.B1715Richard PhelpsNeverKnown to be cracked in 1867. Later lost.
4th8 cwt approx.A♯1715Richard PhelpsNeverLost
5th10½ cwt approx.39"G♯1715Richard PhelpsNeverRecast in 1938
Tenor14 cwt approx.F♯1715Richard PhelpsNeverLost


1715 Ring of 6 given by General (later the first Earl) Stanhope to commemorate the accession of George I.
1855 The church records show: "At a Parochial Visitation held at this Church on Tuesday May 1 1855. It was recommended to provide two new floors to the Belfry, and a complete new framework, wheels etc for the Bells: and it were greatly to be desired that the three missing bells should be replaced at the same time. The louvre boarding would fall to be replaced at the same time. Chas Lane, Rural Dean"
1867 Record of only 3 bells left. The original 3rd of this ring was noted to be cracked. It soon disappeared.
1887 Record of only 2 bells left, the treble and 5th.
1938 Tenor of the remaining 2 bells recast, and both bells rehung by Gillett & Johnston. The other bell was not tuned.
1999 4 new bells were cast to form bells 1, 3, 4, 5 around the existing 2 bells (cast 19th November at Whitechapel). They were cast and hung in a new frame by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry. The frame had a foundation for 8 bells. Whitechapel did not retune the existing bells.
2000 20th Feb. The bells were dedicated by the Bishop of Tonbridge.
2007 2 new bells were added to augment the ring to 8.


The belfry 2005.
Photo: Dickon Love, 28 Mar 2005

Originally the treble of a ring of 6, the bell below is the last survivor of this ring. It is now the 2nd of the remodelled ring of 6 (now 4th of 8).
Photo: Frank Lewis, 1999

The belfry.
Photo: Dickon Love, 28 Mar 2005

The 4th, originally the treble of the first ring of 6 in this tower.
Photo: Dickon Love, 28 Mar 2005

The 7th.
Photo: Dickon Love, 28 Mar 2005

The Gillett & Johnston tenor. Unusually they reproduced the inscription on the former bell in facsimile.
Photo: Dickon Love, 28 Mar 2005

Looking up from the ground floor, 6 rope holes can be seen where the former ring of 6 was rung. There are signs that these bells were rung from a gallery (now removed).
Photo: Dickon Love, 28 Mar 2005

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016