Untitled Document
  
Challock
 

Challock, Ss Cosmas & Damian


Photo: Richard Offen, 2005

  • 2 bells
  • Tenor: 11½ cwt approx. in F♯.
  • Grid Ref: TR011491
  • Rung from: Ground Floor
  • Diocese: Canterbury
  • Building Listed Grade: II*. Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
2 11½ cwt approx.41½" F♯ 1640 Henry Wilnar, Borden, Kent Never
1 8½ cwt approx.37" G♯ 1614 Stephen Swan, Kent Never

Inscriptions

Prior to 1946.

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Treble (of 4)5½ cwt approx.31"B1634John WilnarNeverWent missing in 1951.
2nd (of 4)7¼ cwt approx.34"A♯1724John WaylettNeverWent missing in 1951.

History

1552 Record of 4 bells in the tower.
1614 3rd (of 4) recast by Stephen Swan.
1634 Treble (of 4) recast by John Wilnar.
1640 Tenor (of 4) recast by Henry Wilnar.
1724 2nd (of 4) recast by John Waylett.
1757 Record of 4 bells in the tower. [1]
1946 The roof over the main body of the church collapsed. It was decided to rebuild and the bells were to be rehung for ringing in a new frame. They were sent to Gillett & Johnston at Croydon.
1957 The two remaining bells were recovered from Croydon by Mears & Stainbank and hung dead by Mears & Stainbank.
1958 The rebuilding work was completed. G&J had closed and Mears could only recover 2 of the bells. The others may have been broken up in error. The bells were therefore rehung for stationary chiming & the old frame and bell chamber floor removed.
[1] This Church consists of a Body, 2 Side Isles, and 2 Chancells. In the North Isle are Stone Steps wch. have formerly led up to a Rood Loft. It is cover’d partly with Lead and Partly with Tiles. The Steeple is Towerd, and stands at ye West End, having in it (Rev’d Bryan Faussett, 1757)

Gallery


The first floor contains an interesting Priests' Room, seen here complete with fireplace.
Photo: David Cawley collection

The remaining two bells hanging from hardwood deadstocks supported by two rolled steel joists.
Photo: David Cawley collection

The nave of the church fell in 1946 exposing this unusual view of the tower. Restoration took over ten years to complete.
Photo: David Cawley collection

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016