Untitled Document
  
Capel le Ferne
 

Capel le Ferne, St Mary the Virgin


Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
Tenor 24¹⁄₁₆" 1890 John Warner & Sons
Treble 21⅜" 1890 John Warner & Sons

Prior to 1890

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Single Bell3-1-0c.25"MedievalUnknownNeverBlank

History

c 1300 Tower built.
1759 Record of one bell in the tower. [1]
1799 Hasted makes no mention of bells. [2]
1887 Stahlschmidt records 25" blank bell (in an area with a large number of such bells).
1890 Bell replaced by two bells by John Warner & Sons, who hung these with new frame and fittings at the expense of Capel Norris, Esq.
1986 8th July Church declared redundant and vested in the Churches Conservation Trust. The bells were retained in ringing order at the church and represent the only ringable set of two in the county.
[1] "This Church consists only of The Chancell and Body, and a low Tower at the West End, in which hangs 1 small Bell without Inscription." (Rev’d Bryan Faussett, 1759)
[2] No mention of bells. ('The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent. Vol 8', Edward Hasted)

Full list of peals here
Full list of quarters here

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016