Header
  
Canterbury
 

Canterbury, St Mildred


Photo: Dickon R Love, 11 Sept 2020

  • Single bell
  • Tenor: 4¾ cwt approx. in C.
  • Formerly ring of 5, tenor 10 cwt approx. 1 bells at Quex Park, 1 still in tower, rest disappeared.
  • Grid Ref: TR146576
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Canterbury


Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
1 4¾ cwt approx.29" C 1711 Richard Phelps, Whitechapel

Inscriptions

Prior to 1832

Bell Weight
(most recent)
DiameterDateFounderRetunedFate
Treble (of 5)1711Richard PhelpsNeverEnded up at Herne Bay Pier, then scrapped 1871.
2nd (of 5)4¾ cwt approx.29"1711Richard PhelpsNeverStill in the tower
3rd (of 5)?UnknownNeverUnknown
4th (of 5)1622Joseph HatchNeverUnknown
Tenor (of 5)10 cwt approx.1536William OldfieldNeverNow at Quex Park as the stable block hour bell.

History

1536 Tenor cast by William Oldfield.
1552 Record of 4 bells and a wakerell bell. [1]
1622 Bell cast by Joseph Hatch (4th of 5).
1711 Two bells cast by Richard Phelps (1 and 2 of 5).
1832 The north lateral tower of the church was demolished and all except the second (it is thought) were sold (this bell was rehung with new fittings. The tenor was bought by John P. Powell and survives as the clock bell of the stables at Quex Park House.
1871 The Rector discovered the former treble at the old pier at Herne Bay (it may have been bought & sold by J.P.Powell). This was bought by the Rector and Churchwardens, but met with an accident on the journey back from Herne Bay, so was scrapped.
[1] Item iiij bells in the steple & the wakerell bell. (Edwardian Inventory, 1552)

Gallery


The church in 1807 before the demolition of the tower in 1832 and the consequent loss of the ring of 5 bells.
Photo: David Cawley collection

With the loss of the tower, the bell is now hung in the roof space of this wing.
Photo: Dickon R Love, 11 Sept 2020

There is no sign of the old tower. It used to stand where these 3 lancet windows were, and it is possible that the buttress is all that is left.
Photo: Dickon R Love, 11 Sept 2020

Elsewhere in the Parish

Canterbury, Maynard & Cotton's Hospital
Single bell hung for swing chiming with lever


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 25 September 2020