Untitled Document
  
Canterbury
 

Canterbury, St Mary Breadman


The original ring of 3

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Treble (of 3)2¾ cwt approx.22⅞"1597Robert MotNeverWent to Westgate Towers, then Bishopsbourne
2nd (of 3)4½ cwt approx.c.26½"?UnknownNeverNot retained when church rebuilt in 1822.
Tenor (of 3)5¾ cwt approx.30½"1597Robert MotNeverWent to St Andrew's, then St Anne, Caversham

History

1597 2 bells were cast by Robert Mot.
1757 Faussett records 3 bells in the tower.
1774 The tenor (of 3) was sold to the new St Andrew's church and hung in the tower there.
1799 There is a record of 2 bells in the tower.
1822 The church was rebuilt in an undistinguished Gothick style. There is a record of only 1 bell by Robert Mot that was retained.
1865 The church was damaged by fire.
1887 Stahlschmidt records 1 bell, formerly 3.
1900 The church was pulled down. The remaining bell was hung in the guard cell on top of the western drum of the West Gate.
1974 The bell from Westgate was transferred to Bishopsbourne to form the treble of a chime of 4.


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 22 May 2016