Untitled Document
  
Canterbury
 

Canterbury, St Mary Bredin (Old Church)


Photo: David Cawley collection

Bells partly destroyed 1st June 1942

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Treble of 31-1-1019"1711Richard PhelpsNeverIncorporated into present bell.
2nd of 31-2-421½"c.1500Richard KernerNeverIncorporated into present bell
Tenor of 32-1-821⅞"1505Richard KernerNeverPreserved in the Canterbury Heritage Centre

History

c 1160 Church built.
1349 The parish was united with that of St Edmund Ridingate after the Black Death.
c 1500 Present middle cast by Richard Kerner.
1505 Present tenor cast.
1552 Record of 3 bells in the tower.
1711 Present treble recast.
1868 Church entirely rebuilt and the bells were rehung in the octagonal tower.
1942 1st June On 1st October the church was gutted by bombing. The treble and two were squashed into a flat shape with only their canons projecting. The tenor was almost undamaged although quite porous in the soundbow and of poor tone. The church was demolished in Octo
1957 A new church was built on a new site on the Old Dover Road. The 2 smaller bells were recast into a new bell to hang in this tower. The old tenor was kept on display under the tower.
c 1990 The old tenor was transferred as an exhibit to the Canterbury Heritage Centre in Stour Street.

Gallery


The church seen after the blitz of 1st June, 1942.
Photo: David Cawley collection

The former tenor, now preserved at the Canterbury Heritage Centre.
Photo: David Cawley collection

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 22 May 2016