Untitled Document
  
Canterbury
 

Canterbury, St Gregory the Great


Photo:

Prior to 1985

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Treble1-0-917"1963Mears & StainbankNeverTransferred to Wormshill.
2nd1-1-2719"1963Mears & StainbankNeverTransferred to Wormshill.
Tenor2-0-221"1963Mears & StainbankNeverTransferred to Wormshill.

Prior to 1963

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Treble1-0-1617"1851Charles & George MearsNeverRecast in 1963.
2nd1-1-2318½"1851Charles & George MearsNeverRecast in 1963.
Tenor2-0-420⅝"1851Charles & George MearsNeverRecast in 1963.

History

1851 3 bells cast by Charles & George Mears and hung in the open gable end of the church.
1963 Bells recast by Mears & Stainbank.
1976 27th Oct Church declared redundant.
1980 11th Nov Declaration of redundancy scheme.
1984 Bells removed from the tower and stored at Richard Offen's house for the KCACR.
1988 The bells were hung as bells 1-3 of 6 at St Giles, Wormshill.

Gallery


The church with the bells hanging in the open gable end.
Photo: David Cawley, 4 Mar 1969
Full list of peals here
Full list of quarters here

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 22 May 2016