Untitled Document
  
Canterbury
 

Canterbury, St Margaret


Photo:

  • Formerly ring of 3, tenor 6-3-0
  • Grid Ref: TR149577
  • Rung from: Upstairs Ringing Room
  • Frame: Locally made in c.1625 thought to be still in situ.
  • Diocese: Canterbury
  • Building Listed Grade: II*. Click for Heritage details.

Prior to 1968

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Treble (of 3)3-2-1127"D1903Samuel B. GoslinNeverTransferred to St Peter's
2nd (of 3)4-2-2329½"C1625Joseph HatchNeverRecast 4-2-1 and ransferred to Droxford, Herts
Tenor (of 3)6-3-032½"B♭1625Joseph HatchNeverRecast 4-1-15 and transferred to Newchurch, Kent.

Prior to 1903

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Treble (of 3)3½ cwt approx.27"D1599Thomas HatchNeverRecast in 1903

History

1552 Record of 3 bells and a sanctus bell in the tower. The sanctus has subsequently disappeared without trace.
1599 Treble (of 3) recast by Thomas Hatch. "We presented that our bells are broken and cannot conveniently be rung, also our bells do want ropes. The befrie lofts are at reparaciouns and also there wanteth a ladder to go into the roomes where the bells do hange as heretofore there hath been."
1625 2nd and tenor (of 3) recast by Joseph Hatch.
1850 New spiral stair turret built and ringers moved upstairs. It was reported that the condition of the bells was so bad that two boys had been injured in swinging them, and that the treble was cracked.
1903 The cracked treble was recast by Samuel Goslin, who also rehung the other bells (tenor for ringing, others for swing chiming). The treble broke in half as it was being lowered. Chiming apparatus was installed.
1942 Church damaged by bombing.
1956 Church reopened as a centre and church for the deaf.
1968 Bells removed from the church. The treble was tuned & went to St Peter's, Canterbury (as the treble of 4), the middle bell recast & sent to Droxford, Hants as a treble to augment the 4 to 5, the tenor was recast as a treble to augment the 5 at Newchurch.
c 1985 The church was closed and refurbished as "The Canterbury Tales" tourist and heritage centre.


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 22 May 2016