Header
  
Canterbury
 

Canterbury, St Andrew


  • Church demolished, formerly 4 bells
  • Formerly ring of 4, tenor 5¾ cwt approx. Then single bell 5-2-14 transferred to St Anne, Caversham.
  • Grid Ref: TR150578
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Canterbury


Prior to 1903

Bell Weight
(most recent)
DiameterDateFounderRetunedFate
Single5-2-1430½"1598Robert MotNeverFrom St Mary, Breadman. Sold to St Anne, Caversham

Prior to 1763

Bell DateFounderRetunedFate
Treble (of 4)1699UnknownNeverSold at auction, 1763
2nd (of 4)?UnknownNeverBlank. Sold at auction, 1763
3rd (of 4)?UnknownNeverBlank. Sold at auction, 1763
Tenor (of 4)1576Robert MotNeverSold at auction, 1763

History

1576 Tenor (re)cast by Robert Mot.
1597 Bell cast by Robert Mot for St Mary, Breadman.
1598 A bell was (re)cast by Robert Mot. This was later recast as one of the front 3 of the former ring of 4.
1699 Bell (re)cast - became treble of 4, founder unknown.
1763 25th Nov. The mediaeval church, with squat western tower, octagonal wooden belfry and spire that stood in the middle of the road, was demolished following auction at Thomas Smith's, Bookseller. The clock and 4 bells were also auctioned.
1765 A new church was built with a brick tower and lead cupola and the tenor (cast 1597 by Robert Mot) from the former three bells at St Mary Breadman was installed.
1882 The church was closed.
1903 The bell was removed by S B Goslin who was working at St Margaret's. He originally offered £20, later reduced to £15 and he later sold it to a scrap dealer in Canterbury. The bell was seen by the treasurer of St Anne's Roman Catholic church in Caversham where it now forms the tenor of a chime of 4 (installed by S B Goslin). This bell is hung for ringing.
1956 The church was demolished and marked by a plaque on the bank extension that took its place in The Parade.

Gallery


The mediaeval church, demolished 1766.
Photo: David Cawley collection.


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 22 May 2016