Untitled Document
  
Broadstairs
 

Broadstairs, Holy Trinity


Photo: David L Cawley, July 2011

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
1 12 cwt bell20" B 1924 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel

Inscriptions

Earlier bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Single bell12-1-940½"G1903John Taylor & Co.NeverHung for ringing. Scrapped 1952
Single bell6 cwt approx.34½"1861Naylor Vickers & Co.NeverScrapped 1903
Single bell1829Mears & StainbankNeverRecast 1924

History

1829 Small bell cast by Thomas Mears II, given by John Powell Powell of Quex Park (creator of the ring of 12 there) for the new church.
1830 Church consecrated. Originally a chapel of ease to St Peter's, known as "Bradstow Chapel".
1850 Separated from St Peter's and assigned its own district.
1861 Steel bell cast by Naylor Vickers.
1862 The church was given a tower, built by architect G.L. Taylor at a cost of £846. A clock was given by Thomas Crampton and the bell presented. The church was known as "The Petrified Haystack".
1866 Church became Broadstairs Parish Church with its own parish formed from St Peter's.
1903 The steel bell was removed and a new bell was cast and hung for ringing. The initial letters of the inscription spelled the name of the donor, Thomas Raven. It was hung with a cast-iron headstock and Hesse clapper.
1915 (1) Partial rebuilding of the church commenced (Michael Durrant, Architect) converting it from a Commissioners Gothic box into a Romanesque basilica. A bell turret was erected to take a Sanctus bell at the east end.
1924 The tower, said to be insecure was demolished. The church was further rebuilt anmd extended. The Taylor bell and the clock were stored pending the building of a new tower. The Mears bell was recast by Mears & Stainbank.
1952 The tower project having been abandoned, the Taylor bell and fittings and the clock were all sold to a Thanet scrap dealer. Perhaps they still exist! The Sanctus bell is that now used for services.
2011 The bells, which had been hung for electric chiming, was rehung for swing chiming by John Taylor Bellfounders.

Gallery


Church as it looked prior to 1924. Postcard used 1922.
Photo: David Cawley collection

Church in 1872.
Photo: David Cawley collection

The Sanctus bell.
Photo: David Cawley collection

Picture dated c.1920 after removal of pinnacles and shortly before the whole west end was demolished and the church extended. The base of the new tower is on the north side of the chancel.
Photo: David Cawley collection

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016