Untitled Document
  
Blean
 

Blean, Ss Cosmas & Damian


Photo:

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
1 1967ish Whitechapel Bell Foundry

Prior to c1967

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Single bell2-1-2021¾1659Thomas Palmar INeverRecast.

History

c 1233 Church rebuilt.
1659 Bell cast by Thomas Palmer.
1758 Record of a small blank bell. [1]
1799 Record of 1 bell. [2]
1887 Bell noted by Stahlscmidt with inscription 1650, but he reckons it is actually 1659.
c 1967 The bell was recast by Whitechapel Bell Foundry (exact date and other details uncertain).
[1] "This Church consists only of the Chancell and Body. It has no Steeple, and but 1 Small Bell, without Inscription, wch. hangs at The West End." (Rev’d Bryan Faussett, 1758)
[2] The church, which is dedicated to St. Cosmus and Damianus, is but small and mean. It consists of only one isle and a chancel, having a low pointed turret at the west end, in which hangs one bell. ('The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent. Vol 7', Edward Hasted)

Full list of peals here
Full list of quarters here

Elsewhere in the Parish

Blean, The Cowshed
Formerly ringable single bell, scrapped.
Blean, Shops
Single hour bell

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016