Canterbury, St Stephen
  • 8 bells hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 10-1-26 in A♭
  • Grid Ref: TR148591
  • Rung from: Upstairs Ringing Room
  • Frame: 1902 Mears & Stainbank, made of timber
  • Denomination: Church of England
  • Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
  • Archdeaconry (Anglican): Canterbury
  • Kent County Association of Change Ringers District: Canterbury
  • Building Listed Grade: I Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower (Felstead Database)

  • Details of the Bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)

    (As received 1971)
    Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
    ® Treble 3-1-7 3-2-9 24⅜" A♭ 1844 Charles & George Mears, Whitechapel Removed 1971 Whitechapel
    ® 2 3-1-14 3-2-6 24¹³⁄₁₆" G 1844 Charles & George Mears, Whitechapel Removed 1971 Whitechapel
    ® 3 4-1-0 27⅛" F 1971 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Flat Never
    ® 4 5-1-14 5-2-20 27¼" E♭ 1746 Robert Catlin, Holborn Removed 1971 Whitechapel
    ® 5 5-0-3 5-1-13 30¾" D♭ 1902 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Removed 1971 Whitechapel
    ® 6 6-0-14 31¹⁵⁄₁₆" C 1971 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Flat Never
    ® 7 8-2-14 9-0-8 35⅝" B♭ 1746 Robert Catlin, Holborn Removed 1971 Whitechapel
    ® Tenor 10-1-26 10-3-0 38¹⁵⁄₁₆" A♭ 1746 Robert Catlin, Holborn Removed 1971 Whitechapel

    ® - Hung for full circle ringing

    Bellframes

    Frame Bells Year Maker Material Truss(es) Local
    Layout
    1 All bells 1902 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel
    The former Catlin bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)
    Diameter Date Founder Retuned Fate
    3rd 27¼" 1746 Robert Catlin Never
    5th 6-0-23 31" 1746 Robert Catlin Never
    6th 31¹⁵⁄₁₆" 1746 Robert Catlin Never
    History

    1746 Ring of six cast by Robert Catlin.
    1844 Ring augmented to 8 with 2 trebles hung in the spire from Charles and George Mears.
    1902 5th recast and bells rehung by Mears & Stainbank in a new frame.
    1938 Tower restored and made safe for the bells to be rung again.
    1971 Bells retuned (by Richard Offen), rehung; 3rd and 6th recast by Whitechapel. New upstairs ringing room constructed. The dismantling and rehanging was done by the KCACR under the direction of Harry Parkes.
    1992 2 clappers renewed by Whitechapel.

    Literary collection

  • "St Stephen's, Canterbury, Kent", Cawley, David L (The Ringing World) 11 February 1972
  • Gallery


    The KCACR Removal Gang directed by Harry Parkes prepare to roll the tenor out. Left-Right: David Cawley, Harry Parkes (with Peter Niblett's head), Don Niblett, Desmond Mitchell and a happy looking Ruth Niblett. Richard Offen tuned the bells at Whitechapel
    Photo: David Cawley collection, Dec 1970
    Peal boards

    Timber Performance Board dated approx. 1977

  • Jun 1977: 5056 Plain Bob Major (Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II.)

  • Photo: Richard A Smith, 18 August 2018

    Timber Performance Board dated approx. 1909

  • Jan 1909: 5024 Double Norwich CB Major

  • Photo: Richard A Smith, 18 August 2018

    Timber Performance Board dated approx. 1910

  • Jan 1910: 10080 Double Norwich CB Major

  • Photo: Richard A Smith, 18 August 2018

    Timber Performance Board dated approx. 1907

  • Mar 1907: 5040 Stedman Triples

  • Photo: Richard A Smith, 18 August 2018

    Bells elsewhere in the parish


    Page updated: 1 April 2016