Header
  
Allington
 

Allington, St Laurence


Photo: Marathon (Creative Commons Licence)

  • No bell (formerly 2 bell)
  • Grid Ref: TQ748578
  • Church redundant 1971 and now a private building
  • Building Listed Grade: II Click for Heritage details.

Prior to 1972

Bell Weight
(most recent)
DiameterDateFounderRetunedFate
Single bell1½ cwt approx.18"1866Mears & StainbankNeverRemoved 1972 for St Nicholas, Allington

Prior to 1866

Bell Weight
(most recent)
DiameterDateFounderRetunedFate
Single bell½ cwt approx.15½"1653UnknownNeverRecast/replaced 1866.

History

1192 Earliest reference to the church.
1653 A bell was cast with the inscription IM 1653.
1799 Hasted makes no mention of the bell. [1]
1866 The bell was replaced with a new one by Mears & Stainbank.
1887 Stahlschmidt records 1 bell with the inscription IM 1653, stating that it was probably by a local Maidstone founder. Odd, as by this time the 1866 bell would have been in place for some years.
1971 Church declared redundant on 1 Nov. It was converted into a residential property.
1972 Single bell removed by David Cawley for the KCACR in June. The bell was lowered out of the window.
1974 Bell rehung for chiming at the new church of St Nicholas, Allington by Whitechapel. Declaration of redundancy scheme on 18th Nov.
[1] No mention of bell. ('The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent. Vol 4', Edward Hasted)



Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 17 June 2020