Header
  
Kingston
 

Kingston, St Giles


Photo: Richard Offen, 2005

  • 2 bells
  • Tenor: 5-1-23 in B.
  • Formerly ring of 3, tenor cwt approx. Tenor removed leaving 2 remaining.
  • Grid Ref: TR198512
  • Rung from: Ground Floor
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Canterbury


Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
1 4-1-2229½" C# 15th Cent UnknownNever
2 5-1-2331¼" B 1610 Joseph Hatch, Ulcombe, KentNever

Inscriptions

Prior to 1971

Bell Weight
(most recent)
DiameterDateFounderRetunedFate
Tenor (of 3)8 cwt approx.36⅝"c. 1325William le BelyetereNeverTransferred to the Poor Priests' Hospital, Canterbury.

History

c 1325 A bell was cast (later the tenor of 3) by William de Belyetere. This is currently preserved on the first floor of the tower.
c 1450 The present treble was cast during the 15th Century.
1610 Bell cast by Joseph Hatch, formerly the middle bell of the 3. The 3 bells were rehung in a new timber frame consisting of 3 pits side by side carried on floor beams and consisted of heads, sills, centre-posts, main braces and upper jack braces.
1756 Record of 3 bells in the tower. [1]
1971 Frame removed as it was badly affected by decay and insect attack, even though it was considered well treated and capable of holding bells hung stationary. The canons of the treble were (perhaps unnecessarily) removed. The 2 trebles were tuned, turned and rehung dead on a girder. The tenor was left on the 1st floor. All this work was done without a faculty.
1988 The old tenor was removed for exhibition at the Poor Priest's Hospital, Canterbury.
[1] There has formerly been good Painted Glass in ye Windows, as appears from some little of it still remaining. It has a neat Tower, embattled on ye Top, in wch. hang 3 Small Bells. The First Bell has no Inscription. The Second - Joseph Hatch made Me. 1610. The Third - Ave Maria, Gracia Plena, Dns. Tecum. (Rev’d Bryan Faussett, 1756)

Gallery


The treble bell (an uninscribed casting) probably cast in London in c.1450, fitted for chiming.
Photo: David Cawley, 1971

The preserved former tenor by William le Belyetere.
Photo: David Cawley, 1971


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 28 March 2020