Otford, St Bartholomew
  • 6 bells hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 10-1-7 in A♭
  • Grid Ref: TQ528593
  • Rung from: Ground floor
  • Frame: 2000 Whitechapel Bell Foundry
  • Denomination: Church of England
  • Diocese (Anglican): Rochester
  • Kent County Association of Change Ringers District: Tonbridge
  • Building Listed Grade: I Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower (Felstead Database)

  • Details of the Bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)
    Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
    ® Treble 4-0-1 26¹⁄₁₆" F 2000 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Flat Never
    ® 2 4-2-27 28¼" E♭ 1887 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Removed 2000 Whitechapel
    ® 3 5-0-15 29½" D♭ 2000 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Flat Never
    ® 4 5-3-15 31" C 2000 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Flat Never
    ® 5 7-2-6 33¾" B♭ 2000 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Flat Never
    ® Tenor 10-1-7 38⅛" A♭ 1974 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Flat Never

    ® - Hung for full circle ringing

    Bellframes

    Frame Bells Year Maker Material Truss(es) Local
    Layout
    1 All bells 2000 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Cast iron 8.3.A.h
    6.1
    Inscriptions on the Bells

    Previous Bells

    Bell Diameter Date Founder Retuned Fate
    Treble 29½" 1622 Thomas Bartlett Never Recast 1887
    Tenor 39" 1674 John Hodson Never Recast 1974
    History

    1180 -1190 Tower built. The upper part of the tower and the spire were added in the 17th Century.
    1622 A bell was cast or recast by Thomas Bartlett, ultimately becoming the treble of 2.
    1674 A bell was cast or recast by John and Christopher Hodson, ultimately becoming the tenor of 2. Elizabeth Polhill was the widow of David Polhill, the donor of the Communion Plate in 1666. The family were landowners here for several centuries.
    1887 The treble, which was cracked and useless, was recast by Mears & Stainbank.
    1974 The Hodson tenor, which had become cracked, was recast by Whitechapel. Discussions took place between the KCACR and the PCC about hanging a new light six in the tower. This plan never materialised.
    1975 The two bells were rehung by Whitechapel with full circle wheels (although they were technically not hung for full-circle ringing).
    2000 The two bells were refurbished and four new bells were added as 1,3,4,5 to form a six. The bells were rung for the first time on 23rd October and the new ring of 6 bells was dedicated by The Rt Revd Brian Smith, Bishop of Tonbridge on 26th November.

    Gallery


    One of the new bells rings out beside one of the older bells.
    Photo: Frank Lewis, 2000

    The old two bells on the floor of the ringing room. The tenor is in the foreground.
    Photo: Frank Lewis, 2000

    Page updated: 1 April 2016