Burmarsh, All Saints

Photo: Richard Offen, 2004

  • 6 bells hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 9-3-12 in G♯
  • Grid Ref: TR101320
  • Rung from: Ground Floor
  • Frame: 1899 Mears & Stainbank, made of timber.
  • Denomination: Church of England
  • Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
  • Archdeaconry (Anglican): Ashford
  • Kent County Association of Change Ringers District: Ashford
  • Building Listed Grade: II* Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower (Felstead Database)

  • Details of the Bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)
    Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
    ® Treble 4-0-19 27" E♯ 1926 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Flat Never
    ® 2 4-3-26 28½" D♯ 1899 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Doncaster Never
    ® 3 5-1-0 29" C♯ William Burford, Aldgate Conventional Never
    ® 4 6-2-20 35½" B♯ William Burford, Aldgate Conventional Never
    ® 5 7-3-3 37½" A♯ 1926 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Flat Never
    ® Tenor 9-3-12 39" G♯ 1899 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Doncaster Never
    ҈ Old 4th (of 5) 8-0-10 35⅞" A John Danyell, London (itinerant) Never

    ® - Hung for full circle ringing

    ҈ - Unhung

    Bellframes

    Frame Bells Year Maker Material Truss(es) Local
    Layout
    1 All bells 1899 Timber
    Inscriptions on the Bells

    How the bells are tuned

    History

    1371 -1392 2 bells cast by William Burford.
    c1450 Bell cast by John Danyell as a tenor to the two already present.
    1552 Record of 3 bells in the tower. [1]
    1799 Record of 3 bells. [2]
    1899 A new treble and tenor were cast by Mears & Stainbank to augment the ring to 5. All 5 bells were rehung in a new timber frame.
    1926 Danyell bell replaced with a new bell by Mears & Stainbank (now the 5th). A new treble was also cast to make 6. Bells rehung by Mears & Stainbank.
    1931 Tenor rehung by Mears & Stainbank.
    1965 -1969 Bells rehung on ball bearings by Brian Butcher in drips and drabs.
    1974 Cracked Danyell bell which had stood outside the church, was resited inside the church.

    [1] Item iij bells in the steple.' ('Edwardian Inventory, 1552)
    [2] The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is handsome, consisting of one isle and a chancel, having a tower at the west end, which, as well as the isle, is embattled. In it are three bells.' (''The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent. Vol 8', Edward Hasted)
    Gallery


    The former Danyell bell (replaced by the current 5th) standing outside the church. It has now been resited inside the church.
    Photo: James Hedgecock collection.

    The Danyell bell on display in the church.
    Photo: Bishop Brian Jones, Sept 2014

    Page updated: 5 September 2021